Tried a different chocolate spongecake in hopes that it wouldn’t turn out too dry and dense. This cake recipe contains milk and butter that supposedly provides moisture and hydration for the cake. As it turned out, the cake batter was thicker and stickier that my favourite ogura cake batter and filled up to a litle more than half of my 8x3in cake pan. From how it looked after baking, it did look lighter and airier than the Italian Spongecake recipe from last week’s. The cake was still about 5cm tall, similar to the Italian Sponge. Just how tall are these spongecakes supposed to rise! Nonetheless, texture wise, this version does taste a little softer and more likable than the former.
Chocolate Sponge Cake
Ingredients (For a 8in round pan)
4 Eggs (separated)
120g Granulated sugar
100g Cake Flour (sifted)
40g Salted Butter
25g Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (sifted)
1. Grease the interior of the cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
2. Using an electric mixer, whisk 4 egg whites at medium speed till soft peaks. Add in sugar gradually and continue beating at high speed till shiny stiff peaks are formed.
3. Add 4 egg yolks into the mixture one by one and mix well.
4. Add in cake flour into the batter and incorporate well using folding method.
5. Combine butter and milk in a small saucepan and heat till butter is melted. Add in cocoa powder and stir till mixture is lump-free. Set aside to cool for 10mins.
6. Add in cocoa mixture into batter a little at a time and fold it in quickly into the batter. The finished batter should not have any white streaks.
7. Pour batter into the prepared cake pan and bake at 170C for 30-40mins. (I baked mine for 35mins)
8. Invert to cool for 10mins and remove from the cake pan. Cover cake with a slightly moist tea towel and leave to cool completely.
9. Slice cake into half and cover the top and sides with chocolate ganache. Stack both cakes together and chill for a couple hours to set before serving.
250g Heavy cream
250g Dark couverture chocolate chips
1tbsp Golden rum
1. Heat heavy cream in a small saucepan till sides of the fluid is bubbling. Remove from heat and add in chocolate chips. Let it sit, covered, for 3-5mins while the chocolate melts.
2. Add in 1tbsp of rum and stir well till completely mixed.